Transfer and Articulation Agreements (Page Banner)

Transfer and Articulation Agreements

Part of the mission at the Pennsylvania Institute of Technology (P.I.T.) is to prepare students for transfer to other institutions of higher education. P.I.T. has developed transfer and/or articulation agreements with a number of accredited Colleges and Universities to help facilitate the transfer of credits earned at P.I.T.

An articulation agreement is the process of comparing course content that are transferred between two colleges or universities. In simpler terms, this is how other colleges decide that course work completed in P.I.T.'s "English Composition" counts towards their requirements for their "College Writing" class. These agreements enable students to transfer most, if not all, credits earned at P.I.T. with a grade of “C” or better, toward the requirements of a bachelor degree within the same program of study.

The following institutions have articulation agreements with P.I.T. and will accept some or all of the courses from P.I.T. Those institutions annotated with an (♦) offer a degree completion program that accepts the transfer of all the courses from any of the associate degrees from P.I.T.

  • Alvernia University (Reading, PA)
  • Bloomsburg University (Bloomsburg, PA and Philadelphia, PA) ♦
  • Capitol College (Laurel, MD)
  • DeVry University (Fort Washington, PA) ♦
  • Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA)
  • East Stroudsburg University (East Stroudsburg, PA)
  • Eastern University (St. Davids, PA) ♦
  • Goldey-Beacom College (Wilmington, DE)
  • Immaculata University (Immaculata, PA and Philadelphia, PA) ♦
  • Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University ♦
  • Jones International University (Centennial, CO)
  • Lincoln University (Lincoln University, PA)
  • Neumann University (Aston, PA) ♦
  • Peirce College (Philadelphia, PA)
  • Strayer University (Springfield, PA) ♦
  • Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
  • University of Phoenix (Wayne, PA) ♦
  • Widener University (Chester, PA)
  • Wilmington University (New Castle, DE)

In the best of situations, the bachelor degree granting institution will accept most (or all) of the credits from P.I.T. and will apply them towards the graduation requirements for that bachelor degree. In some specialized programs, many colleges and universities may not accept any credits earned at another college or university due to the requirements of those specialized programs.

Some institutions offer what is called a degree completion program. These programs are prepared for working adults, and attract students who have a number of college credits already completed, or have even completed an associate degree. Many of these programs are specifically designed to accept all the credits from a fully accredited associate degree program, and will allow the student to transfer smoothly into the junior year of a bachelor degree completion program that can be finished in less than two years.

What makes P.I.T. course credits ‘transferrable?’

Each college listed above have their own specific requirements on what they’re willing to accept as transfer credits from the Pennsylvania Institute of Technology. However, our program curriculums are designed to accreditation standards and our course content is designed to match what is being taught by our neighboring four-year colleges.

The Pennsylvania Institute of Technology is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), at 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 267-284-5000. MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. PIT is also approved as a two-year College by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

Why should students be interested in articulation agreements?

If the requirements of these agreements are followed, students continue toward a four-year college or university degree in their chosen major after graduating from the Pennsylvania Institute of Technology with a two-year degree. Ideally, transferring from P.I.T. allows students to save on tuition costs and earn the same bachelor degree when compared to a student who spends their first two years at the four-year college or university.

The specific grade requirements and number of credits accepted is determined by the respective college you’re planning to transfer to and the academic program that you are entering. It is recommended that you speak with the college’s transfer office if you have any questions regarding articulation agreements or transferring to that institution.

Who do I talk to about transferring to a four year college or university?

Students who anticipate transferring to a four-year college or university after completing an associate degree at P.I.T. should contact their Coordinator for SPP Externship & Job Placement Services.