Software engineers design computer programs by using the most effective and efficient modern techniques. Being able to craft secure, maintainable, high performance applications for mobile devices, for the Internet, and for desktop computers, is a highly desirable skill in growing demand.
The Computer Science major prepares students as software engineers for the job market, and for further studies, with the latest software engineering techniques after building a solid foundation in Computer Science fundamentals. Students are trained for, and expected to obtain at least one of several industry standard certifications, including Oracle’s Java SE 7 Programmer certification. In addition, students will build a creditable portfolio through their final semester‘s capstone projects.
Courses include Programming Fundamentals, Programming Mobile Devices, Web Programming, Database Systems, Beginning and Advanced Java, and Software Engineering Capstone. Broader foundational courses include Computer Science Fundamentals, UNIX, Discrete Mathematics, Cyber Security, and Network Fundamentals.
Student Learning Outcomes
Computer Science graduates should be able to:
- Create a marketable application for a mobile device
- Create a client-side and server-side web application for LAMP
- Create working, useful desktop applications
- Troubleshoot code in an Integrated Development Environment
- Build a full, normalized database from the ground up
- Write secure code for database transactions
- Write test code for program quality assurance
- Write shell scripts for Unix administration
- Demonstrate readiness to sit for Oracle’s Java SE 7 Programmer certification exam
- Explain and use team-oriented, customer-centered iterative development techniques such as Agile